Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Review 3/30/2019 (Matinee)
maruluna19 Offline
User

Review 3/30/2019 (Matinee)
Hi! I saw Wicked yesterday afternoon for the second time with my cousin (This was her first musical) It's been 4 years since I have seen the show so I forgot a lot. The seats at the front mezzanine were great and we had a clear view of the stage!

Laurel Harris as s/b Elphaba- I was very excited to see her! I believe last time I saw the show Elphaba was Jennifer Dinoa. She has such a voice! During Defying Gravity and No Good Deed, she was riffing all over the place! I feel like she portrayed Elphaba as being very snappy and feisty, especially at Shiz. Also, she seemed to be a tad awkward until she got older. I do like how in Popular when Glinda shows her own reflection and is called beautiful, her eyes got really big before smiling. During, Defying Gravity she gasped before singing "I think I'll try defying gravity..." As most as if the idea just came to her. She definitely has made Elphaba into her own!

Katie Rose Clarke as Glinda- She's really great and has a wonderful voice! I do like her Texan accent that would slip in occasionally. During No One Mourns the Wicked, she looked heartbroken and tired. I also liked how in Popular, after Elphaba tells her about her sister's birth. She waved her hands in front of Elphie's face as if she were waving the bad energy away. Also, her voice got really soft when she called Elphie beautiful. I liked her, she made Glinda really shallow most of Act 1 but during Act 2 Glinda has matured! Also, I enjoyed her Thank Goodness very much!

Gizel Jimenez as Nessarose- As a Latina girl, I was delighted to a Dominican girl as Nessa! She's very tiny and cute! She acted like a typical little sister but during the Train station scene, the way she said "No, it's me that's not right." it seemed like she started obsessing over Boq. During, The Wicked Witch of the East (still mad it isn't on the cast recording) when Boq says that he must confess his feeling to Glinda, her face darkened. She looked terrifying. I really loved her Ozdust ballroom dress! She has a beautiful voice and I am glad she got casted!

Ryan McCarten as Fiyero- He has a very nice voice! It was nice seeing him as someone other than JD. I found it interesting how he kinda had a valley accent to him. His Dancing Through Life was fun to watch and I like how his airbrain facade wears off when he starts talking to Elphaba. I personally like Act 2 Fiyero better than Act 1 because he seems so real with his behavior towards Glinda and Elphaba especially during the Catfight scene where he looked sorry. He was really entertaining to watch.

Jesse JP Johnson as Boq- I love his voice, it's very pleasant! I really like how awkward he was with Galinda, I found it very relatable hehe! He looked genuinely afraid of Nessa when she went to attack him during her song. I also liked how violent he was during March of the Witch Hunters!

Jaime Jackson as Doctor Dillamond- I like the way he portrayed him! He was very calming up until the part he flipped over the chalkboard. He seemed genuine and I very much enjoyed his interactions with Elphaba, also when he gets captured by the Wizard's guards another ensemble girl started going after him until her friend pulled her back to her seat which surprised me.

Nancy Opel as Madame Morrible- I really liked her as Morrible, she is similar to how she was in the book. She has a very strong voice. I like how in Act 1, she seemed like a sassy lady but good-tempered, for the most part. But as the show went on, her evilness grew and she clearly was not a good person. She is very manipulative of The Wizard and other characters! During March of the Witch Hunters, she was slightly aggressive with Glinda which was an interesting touch.

Michael McCormick as The Wizard- He has a really pleasant voice! He was very sleazy which was great. I like how during Wonderful after Elphie was like "It's all smoke and mirrors..." He sneered at her words before putting his hat on. I do wish that he would have a little more movement during Wonderful though! I found a lot of truth in that song. I also liked how when he found out that Elphaba was his, he lifted up her bottle and froze as if he were thinking back to that night and doing the math before his face fell.

Ensemble mentions- William Ryall, Sterling Masters (played her mom, her dress and hair were pretty!), Dominic Giudici, Dominic Giudici, and Courtney Iventosch were really great!

I am really glad I got the chance to see this show again and I am glad, my cousin loved it as much as I did!

[font=tahoma][/font]
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2019 07:24 PM by maruluna19.)
03-31-2019 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jspams20 Offline
User

RE: Review 3/30/2019 (Matinee)
I was there too! This current cast is great, Laurel and Gizel were particularly amazing this time around Smile
04-02-2019 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quick Review: 12/22/18 Matinee jspams20 0 384 12-23-2018 07:17 AM
Last Post: jspams20
  Review: 11/24/18 (Matinee) jspams20 3 1,033 11-27-2018 01:11 PM
  Review: 10/24/18, Evening Performance Jenn 3 1,305 11-02-2018 10:41 AM
Last Post: defygravity777
  Review: 2/3/18 (Evening - Emily Mechler’s Glinda Standby Debut) WickedlyCedrone 0 1,190 02-04-2018 04:47 PM
Last Post: WickedlyCedrone
  Review: 12/22/17 (Matinee) jspams20 8 4,172 01-04-2018 07:57 AM