Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Review: 11/24/18 (Matinee)
jspams20 Offline
User

Review: 11/24/18 (Matinee)
Hi guys!

I saw Wicked on Broadway for the second time on Saturday! I originally planned my trip into the city on a Saturday afternoon hoping that Jess would call out (I loved her on Tour but I've always wanted to see Laurel in the role). I entered and lost the lottery, but they still had some cheapish tickets so I decided to get one just in case. BOY WAS THAT A GOOD CHOICE, we had a ton of understudies and Laurel

Laurel Harris (s/b Elphaba): I was SO excited to finally hear Laurel live and I'm so happy to say that she exceeded my expectations. The first half of Act 1, her Elphaba was pretty frustrated. A lot of her lines came out dry, sarcastic, and almost kind of snappy. Once we got The Wizard and I begins, that 'explosive frustration' turns into an excitement and optimism that I've never seen before in the character. As the show advanced, she grew more and more confident in herself with each plot development. When she learns of the Wizard's true nature, and throughout Defying Gravity, it's difficult to not feel her anger and rage, and it made for a thrilling flying section. I found her acting to be really sincere. Her Act 2 quickly went from Wicked to desperation, she knew she was going down but she put up a heck of a fight.

Vocally, she is my favorite Elphaba I've seen. Her deep vibrato is like butter and her jumps into her head voice are excellently executed. Laurel originally was a 'vocal purist' when it came to singing the role, but now it seems like she enjoys changing things up and is the riffiest witch in the company (They weren't that evident but the small turns she did on some lines. I like the way she uses the melody of "ahahahaha" throughout the show!). She did the 2NT "Solo", Jenny DiNoia 'Find Me' and 'How I' as well as the two-step 'Fiyero' riff! I know people commend Jessica over her vocal performance, but IMO Laurel exceeded the pretty high standards set by Vosk.

Lindsay K. Northen (u/s Glinda): Wow, she is amazing. She added so many little ad-libs and moments that I have never seen before, she is the first actor I've truly seen master the role. She plays up the "over the top" aspect of the role but doesn't cross the line into spastic, which I appreciated. Her Act 2 was HEARTBREAKING. Glinda's story takes a turn and which each growing disappointment, Lindsay was able to keep dialing up the emotions further and further. WOW is all I have to say, I am so glad she keeps on getting shows!

Vocally, she was great! Her soprano soared and her belt rang in our ears! Her and Laurel's harmonies sounded amazing, neither one was overpowering the other and it sounded just great!

Kyle Dean Massey (t/r Fiyero): I enjoyed his performance. At first, I wasn't a fan but he grew on me as the day went on! He brought a lot of depth to the character and it was so fun seeing him, Laurel and Lindsay interact with each other for the first time in front of an audience! My one gripe is that he looks a little too old for the role, but I think that It helped that Laurel and Lindsay were on. (If Hannah or Emily were on he would've looked much older, kind of the opposite of Ryan).

Nancy Opel: I really liked Nancy as Morrible. He was just plain EVIL. I didn't love her 'Room Assignments' scene, I felt like she sped through it, but she redeemed herself very well as her 'Wickedness' grew and grew. Her DG speech wasn't echo-ey at all, but It still had a lot of power. A few more weeks in the role and she will have it 100% nailed down.

Kevin Chamberlin: Meh. He seemed kind of depressed on stage. No real emotion and kind of going through the motions, which is a shame because he has so much talent. Maybe I was just there after so many extra shows and he was tired?

Tess Ferrell: HOLY. I've never seen such an unstable Nessa before, and I LOVED IT. She was so fixated on Boq in the first act, almost obsessive, that her WWOTE was crazy angry. At one point she tried to physically attack Boq, and even Laurel was struggling to hold her back! Her voice is so pretty, and I would LOVE if she got a chance to take on the role full time!

Jye Frasca: I had some mixed feelings about Jye. His American accent in Act 1 is really strange, and his line delivery was a bit off. However, his portrayal is adorable enough that it makes up for the Act 1 delivery. I enjoyed his Act 2 WAY more than Act 1, and It has been a pleasure having him on Broadway for the past year and a half!

Jaime Jackson: I was really impressed with him. He really stood out in such a small role, and his interactions with Laurel worked very well. He honestly made the role seem so much bigger than he actually is! Well done!

The ensemble and orchestra both started off on a strange note. The ensemble cues were a little messy and the orchestra didn't really know who to read off of during 'What is This Feeling". By Dancing Through Life, everything was back to perfection and remained there for the rest of the show. I've heard that Defying Gravity has been painfully slow over the past few months, but they really sped it up tonight and I liked it! Shoutout to the amazing electric guitar just as Laurel lifted off!

I'm seeing the show twice in the near future, notably KRC's 2nd week back!
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2018 08:18 AM by jspams20.)
11-25-2018 08:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tyler Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Review: 11/24/18 (Matinee)
Thanks for the review! You picked a great show to attend. I was in the audience as well and the entire performance was full of so much magic.

Defying Gravity since June 2007
*Experienced Jackie Burns' "tell them how I" riff*
11-25-2018 11:28 AM
defygravity777 Offline
User

(11-25-2018 08:12 AM)jspams20 Wrote:  Tess Ferrell: At one point she tried to physically attack Boq, and even Laurel was struggling to hold her back!

All Nessas do that. Guessing you haven't seen the show much.

Changed for good on Oct 23,2010!!!

11-27-2018 08:29 AM
jspams20 Offline
User

(11-27-2018 08:29 AM)defygravity777 Wrote:  
(11-25-2018 08:12 AM)jspams20 Wrote:  Tess Ferrell: At one point she tried to physically attack Boq, and even Laurel was struggling to hold her back!

All Nessas do that. Guessing you haven't seen the show much.

Ah yes. I meant more that I noted the intensity of her movement more than the fact that she did so itself.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 01:12 PM by jspams20.)
11-27-2018 01:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Review 3/30/2019 (Matinee) maruluna19 1 493 04-02-2019 08:59 AM
Last Post: jspams20
  Quick Review: 12/22/18 Matinee jspams20 0 554 12-23-2018 07:17 AM
  Review: 10/24/18, Evening Performance Jenn 3 1,654 11-02-2018 10:41 AM
Last Post: defygravity777
  Review: 2/3/18 (Evening - Emily Mechler’s Glinda Standby Debut) WickedlyCedrone 0 1,345 02-04-2018 04:47 PM
Last Post: WickedlyCedrone
  Review: 12/22/17 (Matinee) jspams20 8 4,829 01-04-2018 07:57 AM