Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07.04.18 - Review
itsemily Offline
User

Lightbulb 07.04.18 - Review
Already posted this on the Theatre Board but thought I would post it here too!

Saw the show last night, sat in our usual seats (D11 & 12 of the stalls). Apart from a single seat on either side of us the house appeared to be pretty much full from what I could see! The show was on great form and the sound issues that we had during our last visit (couldn't hear the singing over the music during the whole of the first half) seemed to have gone. Martin Ball was on as the Wizard and I really liked him in that part - would love to see him play that again. Russell Walker was on as Doctor Dillamond, I found him a little mumbly in places. I thought Alice was brilliant and really on top form, I enjoyed Sophie's performance which I thought had changed a lot since I last saw her back in August, then I found her characterization and certainly the voice really reminded me of Trixie from Call The Midwife, that element seemed to have gone now. Having seen her and Maria I don't think I could choose one whose performance I enjoyed more! I think Rosa is fantastic and has a brilliant voice for the small amount that she gets to show it - I would absolutely love to her Glinda one day!

Watching the show for a 3rd time I found myself noticing things I hadn't spotted before (things that other people probably spotted ages ago), for example Bradley in with ensemble and Rosa on the stairs during 'No One Mourns The Wicked'. I found myself focusing on the ensemble a lot more, particular standouts for me were James McHugh who I thought was a brilliant dancer and Kerry Enright who I was seeing for the first time, though all the ensemble are fantastic,from what I could see pretty much all the swings were on. Sophie's Act 1 wig seemed to have a life of its own last night and seemed to be getting more and more static as the show went on. During 'What Is This Feeling' Kerry's ShenShen wig was not stuck down properly and the taped bit on one side of her face was flapping about all over the place, it must have been quite distracting for her but she did not show it. From our seats at the side you could see into the wings quite easily and one of the ensemble boys (I could not see who it was) was twerking in his school uniform during the last part of 'Popular' after Elphaba has left the stage, it made me smile.

We went to stage door for the first time, we waited for quite a while as most of them were going to Joseph Fletcher's birthday party and were getting ready for that. I managed to meet Alice, Sophie, Bradley and Melanie who were all lovely. I almost met Rosa but someone else barged me out the way to get to her and then she got swamped by a crowd of people and then she was gone... I couldn't get over how tiny she is, she looks little on the stage but close up she is even smaller but manages to produce such a powerful voice (she was much smaller than me and I am definitely not tall).
Overall a fantastic evening and I can't wait to go back again - hopefully in the Summer!
04-08-2018 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tyler Offline
Super Moderator

RE: 07.04.18 - Review
Great review.. thanks for sharing!! I'm glad you got to meet Alice/Sophie and others, that's awesome!

Defying Gravity since June 2007
*Experienced Jackie Burns' "tell them how I" riff*
04-08-2018 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Review - 22 November 2016 killerqueen 0 961 11-27-2016 07:11 PM
Last Post: killerqueen
  Review: Saturday 19th November, Matinee TR252 0 786 11-20-2016 04:26 AM
Last Post: TR252
  Wicked London Review: 28th & 29th October Aidoon123 2 1,711 11-01-2016 02:57 PM
  Review: 14th October 2016 wickedwitches 4 2,311 10-21-2016 01:00 AM
  18 July 2016 Review (Michelle Pentecost) Martello736 7 3,531 07-20-2016 07:25 PM
Last Post: Martello736